Iste Confessor | 2018 | SATB a cappella | 3'
Vesper Hymn Confessor not a Bishop | A celebratory hymn to God for his Saint(s)
This setting of the Iste Confessor uses the chant given in the Antiphonale Monasticum. It was originally commissioned by the Church Music Association of America for their 2019 Sacred Music Colloquium in Philadelphia, PA. Thanks to Dr. Jennifer Donelson and Dr. Ed Schaeferfor this opportunity!
Premier: June 2019
1. Iste confessor Domini sacratus
Festa plebs cuius celebrat per orbem,
Hodie letus meruit secreta,
2. Qui pius, prudens, humilis, pudicus,
Sobrius, castus fuit et quietus
Vita, dum presens vegetavit ejus
3. Ad sacrum cuius tumulum frequenter,
Membra languentem modo sanitati,
Quolibet morbo fuerint gravata,
4. Unde nunc noster chorus in honorem
Ipsius hymnum canit nunc libenter;
Ut piis ejus meritis juvemur
Omne per aevum.
5. Sit salus illi decus atque virtus,
Qui supra cœli residens cacumen,
Totius mundi machinam gubernat,
Trinus et unus. Amen.
1. This the Confessor of the Lord, whose triumph
Now all the faithful celebrate, with gladness
Erst on this feast-day merited to enter
Into his glory.
2. Saintly and prudent, modest in behavior.
Peaceful and sober, chaste was he, and lowly.
While that life's vigor, coursing through his members,
Quickened his being.
3. Sick ones of old time, to his tomb resorting.
Sorely by ailments manifold afflicted,
Oft-times have welcomed health and strength returning.
At his petition.
4. Whence we in chorus gladly do him honor,
Chanting his praises with devout affection,
That in his merits we may have a portion.
Now and forever.
5. His be the glory, power and salvation,
Who over all things reigneth in the highest,
Earth's mighty fabric ruling and directing,
Onely and Trinal. Amen.